Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Wedding, part I

Back in the spring of 2003, I was still an awkward teenager approaching my sixteenth birthday and the end of my first year in high school. For as long as I can remember, my father played softball on Tuesday nights at a suburban park in Apple Valley. As soon as my brothers reached the age of 18, they began playing, too.

One particular Tuesday, I joined my father and brothers at the fields like every week in the spring. My brother Christian pulled me aside before their second game and informed me that his friend from school is here to watch.

"Erin, see that girl over there," he said pointing towards the bleachers, "you should go talk to her. Her name is Nancy."

"You want me to just go over there and start talking to her? I don't even know her!" I protested.

"Just do it."

I complied and approached a long-haired brunette.

"Hello, I'm Erin, Christian's sister."

She greeted me and we held a conversation for a while. After the games finished and Nancy left, I asked my brother why he wanted me to talk to her. It seems this girl was the object of his affections. She had a boyfriend, however.

Five years later, I was spending my fourth of July at my family's cabin in northern Minnesota. Christian pulled his heavily intoxicated sister aside and said, "Erin, I am going to ask Nancy to marry me. How do you feel about that?"

"ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!??!? THAT IS GREAT! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!" I exclaimed drunkenly while hugging my older brother.

The following month, the proposal plan was set. It was so romantic. I was glowing with happiness for my brother and his new fiancee.

Now, it is October 2010. Christian and Nancy are tying the knot in under two months. I could not be happier for them.

After they became officially engaged, I was astounded at my ability to feel so much happiness for people who are not me. My sheer joy almost brought me to tears. They asked me to be a part of their wedding and I accepted with honor. On November 20th, I am going to watch them get married. I imagine that I will feel the same selfless happiness and joy that I felt when I heard about their engagement.

These last few years have happened to coincidence with my own personal journey of discovery, that is still continuing today. I had my share of clashes with the woman who stole my brother, including nearly eight months of minimal contact.

Congratulations Nancy and Christian, I couldn't be happier for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment