Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More tales from the Loquacious Northern Girl in the Land of Y'all

I am awash in the ocean of graduate school. I bob up and down as the days float by, amid freshman biology assignments, scientific literature and loggerhead shrikes. Excitement and anxiety fill me simultaneously, nearly constantly. Fortunately, the emotion of excitement is larger than the other. 


My thoughts buzz around in my head, bouncing here and there off the walls of my cerebral cortex. So many ideas, so little time. 


Since July, I have had the same dream over and over. I am back in Minnesota for some untold reason and I must return to Texas. The details vary, sometimes I have left the rats, sometimes I have the cats in MN, sometimes Blake is there. But, the main plot remains constant. 


I haven't had this dream in a few nights. It seems that wild and vivid dreams are back in my nightly repertoire. I dream about strikingly orange tigers, orca whales eating sea otters and bottlenose dolphins at an aquarium, lions with extravagant manes, and various other creatures. The dreams are horrific and fantastic, filled with danger and mystery. 


The Texas autumn has been warm and perfect. I am amused at the fall attire of the Texans. To be fair, the temperature drops to a low 55-65 degrees at night and in the morning. The sight of fall sweaters, jackets and boots is delightful to see, but it still reaches 80 during the day. I love when I hear a Texan say, "it's getting cold!" Giggles echo inside my brain. You won't catch me wearing long sleeves, not just yet. The crisp temperatures of the morning and evening remind me of my beloved place of birth. 

The loquacious Northern girl attracts giggles and amusement from the Texans when words like bag, lag, agriculture, Minnesota leave her mouth. 


I recently discovered Pandora, potentially one of the best things to come out of the recent technological flurry. I just want to jam. Who needs to work when you can listen to music instead?







No comments:

Post a Comment