Friday, July 9, 2010

The Great Texas Adventure Part I

Greetings from Texas! It has been a while since I have posted, but now that I have finally moved to TX, I will be posting more often. I have many things to tell from this week. Before I get into the journey to Texas and my first few days living here, I'll say a little something about my last weekend living in MN. I was lucky enough to see many of my friends at Chammps last Thursday evening. I had an awesome weekend at my family's cabin over the 4th of July weekend. I was able to hang out with my brothers and their ladies, all of my cousins and some aunts and uncles. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful chapter in my life.

On Monday around 6 AM, we (my mom, Blake, our friend John, myself, the cats, the rats, and a corn snake) headed out on 35 S to begin the long journey across the country. The drive through southern MN and Iowa was boring but driving to Kansas City, MO was a breeze. When we took off from KC, however, the drive started to seem endless. It became hotter the further south we traveled. MO was incredibly boring to drive through as well. Soon, we crossed into OK. The air was hot and heavy. We hit terrible traffic along a toll road. Along the highway was a sign that read "Hitchhikers may be escaped inmates". When we stopped at a gas station in OK, there was an advertisement for Friday's lunch special, fried frog legs! After nearly fifteen hours of driving, we stopped for the night at the Comfort Inn in Durant, OK.

Awake at 7 AM the next morning, we took off again with San Marcos, TX as our final destination. It was hot at 7 AM with air that was heavy and thick. The locusts danced on the pavement in the early morning heat. Before I knew it, we were crossing the Red River into my new state. 4 hours later, we arrived in San Marcos, TX. We quickly unloaded all of our things into our new apartment.

The next few days were spent shopping, unpacking, organizing, assembling furniture, and attempting to navigate the bizarre roads. The roads are much different than MN roads, but I like them much more. The drivers are better, except for the occasional bad one. There are no SuperAmericas, no Holidays, no Caribou Coffees, and no Cub Foods. There are Shell Stations, small coffee houses, H-E-B grocery, Carl's Jr., Chick-fil-a, road runners, great-tailed grackles, tiny deer, and exotic plants.

My dad came for about 12 hours. He flew in at midnight on Tuesday and was gone by 12:30 PM on Wednesday. I wish he could have stayed longer. My mom left yesterday and Blake and I drove John to Dallas. Now we are alone, and our life here begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment