Friday, July 30, 2010

The New Chickadees

My favorite MN bird, the black-capped chickadee, is absent from TX. I love watching those little birds flutter around the trees, chirping, and sounding off with their famous "chick-a-dee" call. They are curious little things and will approach humans. It may sound odd, but the nature freak inside of me truly misses them.

My daily routine was disturbed greatly when I moved to TX (obviously). I have been trying to fall back into my old exercise regime, but the heat makes me want to lounge out by the pool or river and read. I started a daily walk around the neighborhood every evening before I cook dinner. As I was walking along the sidewalk, I heard a familiar sound.

"Chick-a-de-dee!"

It was more rapid than my MN birds, but it gave me a smile and a much needed familiarity. The Carolina chickadees reside here. They are very similar to the black-capped chickadee; in fact, where their ranges overlap, they hybridize. I have a new species to watch bob around the trees, such curious and intelligent little birds.

I met with my advisor yesterday (who is one of the coolest professors I have ever met) to discuss project ideas. He had told me in January that he would like to have me study grassland bird communities. Yesterday he told me that I could study the distribution and richness of wetland bird species in mitigated wetlands.

Mitigated wetlands are made when a developer destroys a wetland. It is federal law that the developer must create a new, or mitigated, wetland for the occupants to go.

I am so excited that I cannot properly express my feelings on this blog. I was meant to be a scientist.

If you, dear readers, would like to see some of mine and Blake's best photography, check out my album "A Trip to the Zoo" on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment