Sunday, July 11, 2010

A collection of random thoughts floating in my head

On this beautiful summer day, Blake and I ventured down to the San Marcos River. The river is incredibly clean and contains plants found only in this particular river. It has a fairly rapid current, so tubing is an activity that many locals enjoy. The parks are absolutely gorgeous. The streets and parks are clean with the exception of one or two stray pieces of trash. I adore the plants and the other living organisms because they seem so exotic to me. I love looking at the street-side cacti and the variety of palm tree species that grow here. The great-tailed grackles are as common as pigeons or seagulls in Minnesota parking lots. The sound of the diverse repertoires of the mocking birds and the sight of them perched on street signs instantly puts a smile on my face. The air is hot and heavy but it feels fantastic. I have never experienced a climate quite like this. On Thursday we drove to Dallas and the weather was horrible. It was raining, but it was a different type of rain than what happens in a typical Minnesota summer. The weather was influenced by a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico; weather I have definitely not experienced before.

The cats have adjusted to their new home, it seems. The rats are still a little scared, but I think they will adjust soon. Gerty hides behind the blinds in the window sill and under the bed. Gus likes to be under the bed or anywhere that I am. Gerty howls at night when she wants a drink of water from the sink. Where do the cats learn these habits?

Blake and I have a long list of the things we would like for the apartment over the next two months. It includes a coffee table, computer desks, end tables, a book shelf, and many other house ware items.

"I would really like a food processor for Christmas, Blake. The color scheme is oranges, reds, and yellows, maybe Ikea has throw pillows? Let's go there next week," I found myself saying today. When did I become so domestic?

I am not sure why, but lately I have been thinking that I really want one or maybe two offspring someday. That's right, I said it. For the last month or so, my biological clock has been ticking. I almost melted when I passed by the infant clothing section at Target. What is happening to me?

For the first time in my life, I feel totally ready to start something COMPLETELY different. Blake and I have not fought since we settled in, the move was VERY stressful, and I feel lucky to be here. As Blake and I were walking along the river today, he looked down at the rocks lining the river and said, "Look erosion!".

"I think I just fell in love with you all over again," I thought to myself as I smiled at him.

What an adventure we have started. I do not to wish to speak so soon, but I think this is a fresh start. The bad things are all gone now.

I am so grateful to have my parents. My mother drove down here with me and stayed for four days. She bought me all sorts of things for my apartment, she bought me groceries, and she bought me clothes at the outlet mall. My dad flew down Tuesday night and left Wednesday afternoon in his truck. I wish he could have stayed longer. He bought me a dining table and chairs, a router, storage containers, a microwave, and a futon. I am so lucky to have been born to them. I miss them, but it is not painful. It is different from my past travels. I was too immature to be in Hawai'i in 2006. I know that my parents are proud of me and they are happy I am here, even if they miss me (I know they do).

How did I get so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment