Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kiss today goodbye

Conversation on the TX State bus this morning:

"Dude, it's awesome that my dealer is also my best friend."
"Yea, that's really convenient."
"It was totally destiny."

I take the GRE (for the LAST time) on Friday. I hope I do well and don't completely bomb it and end up on the street because no PhD program will take me due to an abysmal score. Universe, please let me get into a PhD program!! Please let my master's thesis be AWESOME! I am cramming (so to speak) today and tomorrow. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let me defeat myself. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a good score!!!! I just might jump off a cliff if I don't. This stupid f***ing test, doesn't measure my competence and potential as a scientist.

I'm not bitter at all.

My decision to come to TX was the right one, but after this I am totally done living at latitudes below 40 degrees. It is too damn hot for too long down here at 29 degrees. I understand that this summer is exceptionally hot, but I really prefer temps in the 60's and 70's in September, not 90-100+. It is the 21st day of the month currently 95 F. I'll be ready to go back up north when this is all done. Leave it to a Minnesotan to discuss the weather.

Fringe starts again on Friday night (seriously, who the hell is at home to watch tv on a Friday... oh wait, me) so I bought the third season a few weeks ago. Blake and I have had Fringe marathons over the last 2 weeks.

Ashton Kutcher made his debut on Two and a Half Men this week. I didn't watch it but it's all the rage this week in the world of television.

Also happening this week is an execution of a (likely) innocent man. I thought the justice system was supposed to prove your guilt, not your innocence. Is this state-sanctioned murder? I say yes. And along with thousands (maybe over a million) other souls, this is an unbelievable event, the state-sponsored murder of a man that probably did not commit the crime. I was explaining this to Blake yesterday and he asked, "Is he black?" "Yes," I respond. He sighed and said, "That's probably why."

Are we too barbarian?

And there's this. It reminded me of a great piece that I read on Alternet last month.

Won't forget, can't regret what I did for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment