Friday, August 6, 2010

A Story About a Father and a Daughter

It was early January of 2005. I was a senior in high school and held a winter job of outdoor ice rink attendant. It was a low-paying position, but I could do my homework and I often had friends visit. During one shift in the bitter cold of a Minnesota January while battling a case of the common cold, my dad tried to cheer me up by informing me that I may be going on a trip soon. Hawai'i, to be exact. I grew up listening to the enchanting tales of my dad's childhood that he spent in Oahu. I impatiently waited for my grandparents to return from their annual late winter vacation from Hawai'i so I could hear stories and receive exotic gifts. I had always dreamed of going to Hawai'i.

Not long after my dad first mentioned the possibility of a seventeen year old's dream vacation, he informed me that he booked my airline ticket and in mid-February, I would be off to stay with my grandparents for a week in Kailua, Oahu. The five week wait was tortuous but filled with overwhelming optimism and excitement. The trip came with its share of anxiety, however, because it required me to fly by myself all the way to Hawai'i. I had only been a on plane a handful of times and never alone. When I informed my parents that I was nervous and I needed guidance, they just told me that everything will be fine and that I would figure out the airport.

"But I have absolutely no idea what I am doing!!!!! You need to tell me what is going to happen! Are you going to go into the airport with me?" were frequent comments over dinner in the weeks before the trip.

"You'll be fine. Airports are easy. Yes, I'll drop you off and make sure you check in," were typical responses from my parents.

As the time came closer, some peculiar things happened. I was at my dad's store and one of his employees asked, "Are you excited? When do you guys leave?"

"Yes I am. But it's just me that's going. I am meeting my grandparents there. They are arriving in Hawai'i a week before me," I responded.

About a week before I left, I was talking to my grandpa over the phone and he told me that he would be picking us up. I replied with, "Grandpa, it's just me!"

I started to think, "Is my dad coming with?? He hasn't mentioned anything about him going, just me. He would have told me. Maybe grandpa was just confused... That would be great if dad came, but I don't think he is."

The weekend before I left, I had lunch with my dad's sister, Auntie Sis (Susan).

"Be sure to have your dad take you to a luau!" she said.

"What?" was my response.

"I mean my dad, your grandpa. Sorry, I was thinking MY dad," she replied.

When the departure day arrived, my father picked me up with his neighbor, Dan, in tow. I said goodbye to my mother and I climbed in the backseat to venture to the airport.

"Erin, grandma and grandpa need you to bring an extra suitcase with you. So you'll have to check two because they need more space when they come home. Dan is going to drive around and check out a construction site while I check you in, ok?" my dad informed me.

We walked into the airport and my dad told me to stand back while we checked me in. I gave him my ID and the suitcases so he could get my boarding pass and check my luggage. Anxiety and excitement filled me. After my dad checked me in and after my inspection of how security works, I gained some confidence and informed my father that he could go now, I would be alright. He turned to me, smiled and said, "well, I'm going with you!"

A mountain of joy arose inside of me. That was one of the happiest moments of life. I could not stop smiling the whole plane ride from Minneapolis to Honolulu. I couldn't believe through all of the slip-ups and wishful thinking, that my dad was actually accompanying me to Hawai'i. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

The week in Hawai'i was magical and fantastic. It was filled with hours at the beach, a trip to the North Shore of Oahu, a day at Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, wonderful dinners out, snorkeling, and body surfing. On the last day right before we were to head back to the airport, my dad and I walked along the beach. He gave me a hug and told me he loved me. I replied with "I love you, too dad," and a few tears rolled down my sun-stained cheeks.

My dad and I have had some wonderful adventures together including a road trip to watch the Gophers play football and a few trips to Northern Minnesota, but this is my most cherished memory.

How did I get so lucky?

I love you, dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment