Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reflections

I have lived in TX for over a month now. School commences in just under three weeks and I cannot wait for that time to come. Do not get me wrong, I love having few obligations and the freedom of nearly unlimited leisure time. However, I have grown tired of the summer boredom. I anticipate that I will be singing a different song once I start graduate school and have a million different things to accomplish. The grass is always greener, I suppose.

Lately, I have been sliding, along with Blake, into the homesick trap. We are both thrilled to be here, but we both miss the things we had in MN. We miss our friends, our family, and the temperate climate. I miss the ash trees and the pileated woodpeckers. I miss the sight of the eastern gray squirrels prancing through the grass. I miss the sugar maples and Key's Cafe. I miss the Saint Paul Farmer's Market and the Saint Paul Bagelery. I miss Caribou Coffee and the opportunity to go to my mother's house at any time for any reason.

I feel stressed and bothered lately because there were some misunderstandings about my tuition payments. I have to take out another loan of $1800, which is small but I do not want any more loans to pay back! I have been dropped from my courses temporarily (at least they tell me that it is) until my tuition is adjusted and my TA paperwork goes through. I fear that I will not be able to get back into the courses I want, but Joe tells me not worry.

Distance has the ability to change relationships, for better or for worse. Luckily, I feel that my relationships between many family members, mostly my parents and brothers, has been strengthened. My grandfather called me yesterday. I was so happy to hear from him! I should really call my grandparents more often, or at least get their email addresses.

I have been searching all over this town for TX postcards that I can send to back to MN. Believe it or not, the search has proved futile. I cannot seem to track down something as simple as postcards! It is ridiculous! The zoo gift shop did not even have them! The search continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment