Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pending: Sweet reunions

In less than 12 hours I will be at my mom's house in Burnsville. I am extremely excited. It's easy to take things for granted, like seeing your parents daily (or nearly daily). I can't wait to see them again. Reunions are beautiful.

But before I get too mushy about my ardor for MN, I want to say a few things about my life in Texas and the people that I know here. Don't confuse for my love for MN as a symptom of hate for Texas. Not true. I am glad that I came here. I have learned a great deal. If you get the opportunity to live somewhere different from where you grew up, I highly recommend it. It's fascinating how within the US cultures and customs vary. The differences are subtle but profound.

I truly believe that I am better off knowing the people that I have met here. I have made some wonderful friends out of truly amazing humans. I am lucky to have been blessed with their presence.

This chapter of my life will come to a close next summer when I (hopefully) move on to a new state to a PhD program. It has been short but very, very sweet.

I love the tacos. I love the wildlife and the landscape. It's very different from what I experienced higher latitudes. I can't get enough of the caracaras and the roadrunners.

What an opportunity! What a blessing! I am very lucky, indeed.

I can't wait to reunite with my parents and brothers. I love seeing their faces after time has passed. It's like no time has passed when we embrace.

All the while, I will be reminding myself "to not cry because it's over; smile because it happened."

I do it for love.

1 comment: