Monday, October 31, 2011

How do you measure a life of a woman or a man?

It's time now to sing out, though the story never ends.

The heat has finally subsided here in Texas. Last year at this time and the (sort of) winter months, I was satisfied with the weather and enjoyed the warm winters. This summer, Austin Mabry had 90 days of above 100 F as of 10/20/2011 (most on record since 1898). And until a cool front came at the end of last week (and by cool the highs are around 70-77 and lows around 50), it was quite warm here in central Texas. I didn't wear jeans or long pants from mid-April to last week. Six months of very warm weather. Brace yourself, but in spite of wearing skirts and flip flops for 6+ consecutive months, I decided that I do not like the long and hot summers. Northern latitudes are preferable to this sort of climate here at the 29th parallel north. The weather was beautiful for October in Minnesota. It was when I arrived back in Austin last Sunday while waiting for Blake in the warmth that I realized the north is awesome.

Home is where the heart is, indeed.

My trip to Minnesota was short but sweet. I saw a few friends but mostly spent time with my family and Dillinger, Josh's puppy. Red nose American Pit Bull Terrier but sweet as pie. What a lovely puppy. I cannot wait to see him in 7 weeks. How big will he be then?! That head! He even wore a gopher jersey for the Homecoming game.


Some memories play over in my head like a broken record. Over and over again. Some are from long ago, some from recent times. They go in cycles, oscillating through the seasons and the years. Memories that zipped through my neocortex over and over at one instant in time have now faded and others follow the same pattern.  

One summer eve's with kung fu and the winds of change began to blow stronger than they ever have.

Lately I am so confused; I really don't know to do.

Enough about the past. This week, I am giving my first talk about my research. I am excited and nervous. I am practicing tomorrow so I think I have a handle on it.

And finally, to the future. I have my sights set on a particular place.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment