Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The life with rats- week 2 for the babes

I finally held the rat babies for the first time yesterday! Phoebe has been extremely protective of her offspring. When I returned all five to the nest, Phoebe jumped out of her tunnel and bit me twice in the pinkie. That makes 7 bites since she has given birth. I finally dug out my hide gloves to handle Phoebe but she didn't try to bite at all. I put her in with the other girls which she seemed to enjoy. I suppose moms of any species need a break. I am still amazed at how small Phoebe is; she is, after all, just 10 weeks old.

I was able to sex the babies this evening while Phoebe was enjoying time with non-infant rats. I'm 90% certain that there are 2 boys and 3 girls. This was just the ratio that I was hoping for! The girls all live together while the two boys will be in their own cage in a separate room. Blake talked me into keeping the boys and I assigned him the task of naming the pair. I am eager and a little nervous to learn his choice. Brainstorming for the girls' names has begun. What an exciting surprise the Universe has bestowed upon me!

The babies haven't open their eyes yet, but they have whiskers and peach fuzz covering their tiny bodies. Their ears are beginning to perk up and I expect them to be fully furred in a few days (day 12 of development). They should also open their eyes around the same time. The cuteness nearly chokes me. I really can't think of a better "gift" (if you will); this has been exciting and joyous. And there is more ahead!

The babies on day 6. The one with the black head is a boy. I'm excited to see what the other four look like; they will be blonde or white!

What an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment