Friday, September 3, 2010

Loggerhead Shrikes on the Mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_zfyAx_z_8

For my Master's thesis, I am going to study an avian species named the loggerhead shrike. It known as the "butcher bird" (see video). I am extremely excited to start working out the details and write my proposal in time for my first field season next spring. I may also be looking at the behavior/nesting of scissor-tailed flycatchers (who breed in a similar habitat as the loggerhead shrike). I have spent hours and hours this week searching through the available scientific literature on shrikes, field methods of estimating bird populations, and on kingbirds (the group to which the scissor-tailed flycatcher belongs). I have read about ten papers and I have a long list of more to read. I cannot wait to get started on the proposal writing! I would like to look at nesting behaviors/fledgling success! Exciting!!!

My first day of teaching is today. At 2 PM, I will officially be an IA. Yikes. I am excited and still nervous. Updates about the experience to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment