Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Great Birding Adventure Part 1



This past winter and spring I have had the absolute pleasure of tutoring three fantastic high school honors biology students. The last subject we talked about was one of my favorites, evolution. Following high marks on their exams, I thought that birding would be a wonderful activity to teach the young whippersnappers about evolution, sexual selection, and give them a introduction into ecology, my other favorite biology subject.



After dragging the high school students out of bed at 7 AM on a Saturday, it started to downpour. Hmmm. How disappointing and how I wish I could control the weather. Instead, my 12-year-old cousin made about three dozed perfectly round, golden pancakes for myself, her siblings, and the high school students. It was a morning filled with backyard bird watching (full of American crows, robins, chickadees, cardinals, downy woodpeckers, and an undetermined species with a nest and offspring on the side of the house), youtube videos demonstrating the use of a male giraffe's neck, bird call quizzes, and photo sharing. It was absolutely wonderful.
Hopefully we will be able to try again before I head to where the deer and antelope play and have nice weather for part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment