Thursday, February 23, 2012

We can go when we want to

The night is young and so am I
and we can dress real neat from our hats to our feet
and surprise 'em with a victory cry

It's the end of February but winter has been largely absent this year. Yesterday and today the temperature rose near 90! But then a cold front will come in tonight and it will only be in the 60's tomorrow. I am wearing shorts in February. February! I ventured up to Austin this afternoon for a hair cut so I stopped at Whole Foods, which is right down the street from the salon. Fresh fish for dinner! I also picked up some sweet potato bread (it's delicious!) and a smoothie called "pretty in pink". 

I have been busy writing my thesis and organizing then analyzing my data. I am going to a regional meeting next week where I will give a talk then I am giving a poster presentation at the end of March. My thesis defense will be the last week of March or the first week of April. I cannot believe that this is almost over. This flew by. Soon I will be a master. 

In the middle of a sweltering summer, I will begin a PhD program (and move) to Tampa. Along with Blake, the cats, the rats, and the snake. I answered an advertisement on an ecology board. Most days it all feels surreal; everything that I have done and will soon pursue. I feel like I am watching outside myself. I must admit that I am pleased with the person I am turning out to be. I will miss my dear friends that I have made here in central Texas. But, as the wise Dr. Suess said, "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened."

In other happenings, I am teaching two introductory organismal biology laboratory sections (both at 8 AM). One of my sections is full of well-mannered, calm, nice, and eager students. Approximately 1/3 of my other section are whiny and difficult. 

"This is TERRIBLE! Why do we have to count beads? This is so stupid!" say the young biology undergraduates. 

"OK, let's get some perspective people. Terrible would be like dodging machine gun bullets on our way to school. Or the recent violence in Syria. Conducting a simulation in class does not fall under terrible," I respond. 

"This is the worst lab. I don't see how any of this relates to evolution."

"Can I just cheat and grab the remaining blue beads so we can be done?"

"I HATE this lab! It sucks so much!"

"This is the most boring class EVER!"

The students banter on.

I take deep breaths and think about hot lattes and whiskey and reply, "Listen, first of all, you are in training so these simulations are necessary because they beautifully demonstrate key concepts you should learn. And, do you think that when you are a physician it's going to be like House, M.D.? News flash, your job will not always be exciting. Lastly, this is about 2 hours of your week so deal with it."

I projected annoyance and general bitchiness but I really tried not to react that way. I did not yell but at least replied with brazen comments. 18-20 year olds can be quite difficult. 

Thursday evening is already upon us and the weekend beckons. Guppy care is in the future followed by yoga. Maybe a morning bird walk around San Marcos thrown in. 

General relaxation. 

It's a leap year!



No comments:

Post a Comment