Tuesday, May 25, 2010

When the air becomes saturated

The unusual spring in Minnesota continues. The surprises do not stop. It reached about 90 F yesterday. The air was hot, sticky, and heavy. The squirrels had retreated to their nests and the only birds that visited the yard were a few stray robins and crows. It is amusing how the behavior of people changes in the muggy heat. I feel sluggish when the air is sticky. Yesterday, work was miserable. I was assigned to dishwasher, a job I really do not mind most days, so I had the pleasure of standing next to a large dish machine using water at 175 F all day. The kitchen was even hotter than the dishroom. Many of the female employees (myself included) had wild and frizzy hair. When I went upstairs to the memory care unit, most of the residents were wearing sweaters. They were sitting as comfortable as can be while beads of sweat formed on my face. I think it is the heat, but the residents in the memory care unit were loopy and ornery, more than usual I mean.

First, there is a resident who talks to herself the entire time she is in the dining room. Lately, she has been very upset and crying about leaving. Yesterday, she was playing with her fork and repeated "isn't it cute?" followed by giggles.

Then there is another resident who frequently yells obscenities and taunts her table mates. Breakfast today went as follows"

"I HAVE TO POOP! I HAVE TO POOP!" yells the resident at a very loud volume.

My coworker and I share a few subtle laughs when she repeats,

"I HAVE TO POOP!!! TAKE ME! I HAVE TO POOP!"

She continued for a minute or two until I finally said to the nursing staff, "Please take her to the bathroom, she is being disruptive."

One of the male residents firmly believes that behind the doors at the far end of the dining room hold a secret bathroom that we will not let him use. He bangs at the door and wanders around the dining room muttering about the secret bathroom. In reality, there is a hallway to the another wing in the building.

Another resident tells the nursing staff she hates them at breakfast and then loves them at lunch. She told me today that she was going to be kicked out and thrown to wolves outside.

Lesson of the last two days at work, take care of myself now and do whatever it is I can to prevent dementia.


No comments:

Post a Comment